Thursday, November 22, 2012

Redemption: Race Report of the Turkey Trot

Happy Thanksgiving! Here is a brief post on today's Turkey Trot, organized by NYC Runs and Prospect Park Track Club.

This morning I ran in the Turkey Trot in Prospect Park, a 5 miler which consisted of a small loop plus the big loop in the park. It was so much fun! All I wanted to do was redeem myself from last year when I ran in the Turkey Trot and felt really miserable. And I did just that! I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a race so much; I felt like I ran strongly without struggling.

Me and the two Elizabeths (one "Betsy")

Last night I prepared for the race by eating two baked potatoes (they were small potatoes) and drinking a cup of my dynamite hot chocolate. I watched "I Love You Phillip Morris" (good movie) and went to bed at a decent hour. 

This morning at 8:00 a.m. I headed to the park with my friends Betsy, Jon and Elizabeth (and her sweet kids). It's great to live so close to the park. The race started at 9:00. Jon and I ran together for the first few minutes and somehow split up less than a mile in. Okay, I surged ahead. I can't help it! I really wanted to beat him because he beat me last year. Spoiler alert: I did.

Some professional Turkey Trotters. Photo courtesy of Elizabeth Nelson

It really helps to know Prospect Park so well. The race started on a downhill, so I was able to cruise the first mile really comfortably, relying on a bit of gravity. I knew when zoo hill was coming and I knew I'd only have to run it once, so I ran it pretty hard. Around the park, I hit the downhill again and coasted a bit. At the end, a couple of dudes passed me and I waited a few seconds before sprinting past them to finish. 

My results came back as 41:17 but my chip time said the same thing while everyone else's time was adjusted. Since I can see the two dudes that I ran past one and two seconds behind me in the results and I know that Jon and I crossed the start at the same time, I can adjust my own time to 40:27. I'm pleased with myself.

Betsy making a strong finish. 

Santa, why are you at the Turkey Trot? Photo courtesy of Betsy Leto.

I'm going to make up for the fact that this post is lacking so much detail by including the directions on how to make this smoky popcorn that I'm taking to a Thanksgiving dinner tonight. It's out of this world. All you do is pop the popcorn by heating up vegetable oil in a pot. Test the temperature with a couple of kernels and when they pop you can put the rest of your kernels in and cover with a lid. Shake over the flame until they all pop and put into a bowl. Add a little vegetable oil and stir. In a blender (or spice grinder) grind up raw brown sugar and sea salt. Mix the sugar and salt with a lot of smoked paprika and a few pinches of chili powder. Taste and adjust accordingly (like I did my chip time!). My mixture was heavy on the paprika. Add your spice mixture to the popcorn and stir a bunch. Pop more popcorn and repeat if necessary. Enjoy!

Smoky Popcorn

7 comments:

  1. I helped setup the finish chute and the time-master told me that the Santa guy is there every year to help direct traffic.

    Check out the photos at

    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4939017199235.2198127.1412797762&type=1

    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151310341481335.525837.679001334&type=1

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see how Santa would be helpful in that respect. Thanks for sharing these photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the race! That popcorn also looks tasty. As far as I'm concerned, on the stovetop is the only way to make popcorn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. It took me a couple of batches of kernels before I could get them to pop. I switched pots and that did the trick!

      Delete
  4. We are glad you enjoyed the Turkey Trot. http://pptc.org/the-2012-turkey-trot-blogispher/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did! I wish every race was like the Turkey Trot. Thanks for the link on your site...it makes me feel sort-of famous.

      Delete
  5. I just now saw this! I'm famous on your blog! We had a great day for the Turkey Trot. One of these days I'll be fast enough to run with you. (Probably not.)

    ReplyDelete