Monday, September 2, 2013

Running Tips: Music to get you out the door

Several friends have started running recently, and I get so happy when they tell me that I've inspired them in some way. I love to hear how their running is going and to see updates on facebook after they've run in a race! My friends who run inspire me to no end! People who are just starting out ("newbies" as they're called) may not realize that sometimes it's difficult for me to feel motivated to go out for a run. Once I'm outside I'm usually fine and glad that I'm running, but it's the getting-out-the-door that's hard.

So here is my tip: A lot of people talk about the music they listen to while they run, but why not listen to music before you run! I love to put on a song and dance around in my running shoes.

Here are some of my favorite songs that encourage me to get out the door on days when I would rather plant my face in a Breaking Bad marathon on Netflix:

Gossip, Standing in the Way of Control
There are few bands I find more empowering than the Gossip. This song will make you feel like there is nothing standing in the way between you and your run.



Dolly Parton, Why'd You Come in Here Lookin' Like That
"In your cowboy boots and your painted on jeans, all decked out like a cowgirl's dream..." Enough said. 



Tom Petty, American Girl
It's a great big world with lots of places to run to. Or so says Petty.



Florence and the Machine, Dog Days Are Over
This song mentions the two things I love the most, running and dogs. It's made of win!


Mary J Blige, Real Love
If you don't feel like rocking first thing in the morning, this might be your thing.


Jay Z and Alicia Keys, Empire State of Mind
I run in NYC. Respect.



38 Special, Caught up in You
Wait! Give this song a chance. Trust me. If you're a lady you can listen to this song and pretend that 38 Special wrote this song for you. He can't live without you.


Bruce Springsteen, Born to Run
Cliched, I know. But this song kicks ass. I sing it to my dog and change "Wendy" to "Oscar" so it's kinda our song.


Now go for it! You can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment