Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Bee's Knees

The bee's knees. What does that mean??

Today I started my run home from the office in the rain, which seems to be more common than not lately, and after a couple of blocks my left knee protested very loudly. I was forced to stop. Stretching didn't help. So I did what any normal runner would do in this situation: I bought beer and chocolate and took the subway home.


I hear a lot of people say all the time, "I'm just not cut out for running..." because it hurts. I think pain management is a normal part of life. Having your heart broken doesn't mean you aren't cut out for loving; it just means you aren't a sociopath. I think everyone with two working legs should be able to run for at least 20 minutes because at any moment there could be a zombie apocalypse. It doesn't have to be fast because everyone knows that zombies run slow.

If you're feeling discouraged volunteer for Achilles International and experience what it's like to run with a blind runner.

I'm not opposed to taking a break from running when it hurts. I say that now because I don't have a major race on the calendar. Only the Brooklyn Half this weekend (we'll see if I'm up for it). And the summer series coming up in Prospect Park (my knee will have to cooperate by then!). I am going to register for the Tokyo Marathon (and get the 4th continent under my belt, literally) and visit my friend Ayako, who says she will do it with me! I think she is the bee's knees. But that's not until next year. 

Until then I'll ice and stretch and drink beer and eat chocolate*. And listen to this for inspiration. 



*I am not a certified personal trainer. 

2 comments:

  1. Also, kitties make everything better!

    (Hope your knee feels better soon.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks bro. I was happy to see your post on bee's knees. But I'm surprised you didn't say anything about the zombies. You are the Zombee's knees!

    ReplyDelete