Friday, May 4, 2012

Friday Picture Wrap-Up: The Nerdy Birder

Not much running news lately. I really need to be getting ready for the Brooklyn Half Marathon that will be taking place in a couple of weeks, but I've been easing back into running after taking a little physical and mental break from it.

In the meantime, I would rather talk about birds!

I love birds (who doesn't?), and I became quite the nerdy birder in Zambia. Don't be surprised if I take off to Vermont for long weekends of birding with my camouflage and binocs. I just might do it! Here are a few of the birds I saw on my trip.

Soooo....this Friday Picture Wrap-Up has gone straight to the birds. I hope you enjoy. You should be able to click on the first image and then scroll through the enlarged photos like a slideshow.

WOODLAND KINGFISHER

YELLOWBILLED STORK

FRANCOLIN (oh, oh, oh, how I love this adorable and funny bird)

A STARLING (I'm not sure which one)

 WHITE BROWED COUCAL

A ROBBIN BIRD

AN OXPECKER HITCH-HIKING ON A SWEET IMPALA

GREY CROWNED CRANES

HAMMERKOP

GREY HERON (top) AND EGRET (bottom)

GREY HEADED KINGFISHER

NIGHTJAR (spoooky)

GUINEAFOWL

GREY HORNBILL

GREY GO-AWAY BIRD (this bird sounds like it is actually saying "go away!")

LILAC BREASTED ROLLER

 LITTLE BEE-EATERS

OPEN BILLED STORKS

EGYPTIAN GEESE

MARTIAL EAGLE (I was told this is "most powerful eagle." It can kill baby impala.)


3 comments:

  1. You sure saw a lot of birds! I like how you set it up so that we can scroll through. Your affinity to birds might be because you're a Robbin Bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My family calls me "Bird". I have always enjoyed them and learning about bird behavior, but my trip really got me interested in learning their names and photographing them. It helped that I was traveling with a birder who majored in Environmental Science!

      Delete
    2. p.s. I was in the office until 9:00 sorting through my photos of birds and identifying them! I never did run home!

      Delete