Thursday, January 5, 2012

Introducing Oscar


Thirty degree temperatures are my favorite temperatures to run in. This evening it was 38, so I took my dog Oscar out on a quick half hour jaunt around Fort Greene Park. With its hills and Rocky Balboa-style stairs you can still get a pretty good, short run in as you pretend the world is a giant obstacle course (and it is, isn't it?).

Oscar and I have very different running styles. He tends to go out feeling really strong and energetic. His first 10 minutes into a run are solid. He runs with his tail and head up, looking straight ahead like he's a show dog and not an orphaned mutt found on Rebel Dr. in western North Carolina. I, on the other hand, usually take 10 minutes to warm up before my creaky bones feel lubricated and my muscles feel relaxed. I'm not sure what those first 10 minutes look like to the outsider, but I imagine that I start out looking like a character in a zombie apocalypse.

Unfortunately, it was at this stage in my run that Oscar and I passed a cute guy jogging in the opposite direction. "He's a great runner! Good looking dog!" he called out to me as I lurched forward. I tried to answer him, "Thanks, he is a great running part....." but I couldn't finish because he kept going and I realized he wasn't interested in a convo. *Sigh* Oscar is a good looking dog. It's true. He has even kissed my neighbor Rosie Perez on the mouth. On New Years Day an old lady stopped us on the sidewalk and proceeded to kiss Oscar on the lips and said, "Oh thank you. That's the best New Years kiss that I got." (And I didn't doubt it.) And you know what? It's okay if he gives it his all during the first 10 minutes of a run and then tries to stop and smell things and roll in grass and jump on girls the rest of the run, because sometimes picking up my running shoes and seeing his eager face and wagging body is the thing that gets me out the door when I'm otherwise feeling defeated. And I'm pretty sure we make each other look good.




(top photo is of Oscar when he was a puppy, right after he was found in the woods in western North Carolina and bottom photo is him now, modeling my Turkey Trot medal)

Tonight's post run beverage is hot chocolate with nutella in it (because I was out of sugar). It's delicious and perfect for winter time!


4 comments:

  1. Gods, he is a good-looking dog, isn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard people say that people look like their dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oscar is a handsome fellow. Ear skritches to him!

    ReplyDelete