Tuesday, January 31, 2012

You Say Potato Part II

A few days ago I was curious about how the potatoes served at the refreshment stands, on the Two Oceans Marathon course, would be prepared. So I wrote to Two Oceans via their facebook wall and asked them. They responded! It turns out they are (drum roll please...) baby potatoes boiled with a little salt and butter.

This weekend I am planning on doing a 21 mile (or so) long training run, otherwise known as two loops of the run I did Saturday. It will be the perfect opportunity to see how the potatoes are for running and munching because I can stop at my apartment and grab some before I start the 2nd loop.

Tonight I boiled some potatoes and jazzed them up a bit. I also baked some wild Salmon. Here are the recipes:

Slightly Jazzed-Up Boiled Potatoes

This is a variation of something my friend (and ex boyfriend) made for me recently. He's so nice that even though we aren't dating anymore he will do my taxes and make me dinner while I raid his whiskey stash and watch tv.

Boil baby potatoes until soft and drain the water
Add a little salt and butter. (Set aside half of your potatoes for a long training run. )
To the other half, add a bunch of kale and simmer with a little more salt, vinegar and Sriracha sauce (a hot sauce)
Continue to simmer and add chopped garlic.


Salmon Baked with Brown Sugar and Herbs

This is a dish that my mom made at Christmas from a Katie Lee cookbook (a food critic that was married to Billy Joel when she was like 12). It is AMAZING. I don't have the original recipe so this is a variation.

1 serving of Salmon

Mix together these three ingredients and smear all over the salmon:
1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1 Tsp Stone Ground Mustard
dash of Olive Oil

Finely chop and mix together these next ingredients and pile onto the salmon:
2 Tbsp each- Parsley,  Thyme, Chives, Mint
Salt
Dash of Olive Oil

Lastly, place Lemon Slices on the Salmon

Loosely wrap in foil and bake at 450 degrees for 10 minute. Uncover and bake for 5-10 more minutes.

Before

After

I like to put fresh herbs in little cups of water because it looks pretty and keeps them fresh. But they still need to be used soon!

4 comments: