Saturday, January 7, 2012

Something To Listen To

Modest Mouse is my favorite band. Like a good friend, they have withstood the test of time; I first started listening to them back in college and first saw them live in 1999, I think. At that show I was so mesmerized by Isaac Brock that I didn't even notice that two guys were standing behind me and had stripped below their shirts and were "sword fighting." Um, yeah. Modest Mouse has never inspired me to do that, but they do inspire me to keep on keepin' on.




Most often when I run, I need something to listen to. I've listened to the Wolf Parade and Modest Mouse Pandora radio stations while running so much now, they feel like my own personal compilations. I only listened to music once during a race, and decided that it's best that I reserve the music for training. I think Modest Mouse is going to get me through a 10-12 miler on this spectacular winter day. That will put me at 40 miles this week. Yee-haw! Thank you Isaac.

4 comments:

  1. I love MM, but have to confess that although I stated listening to them with Moon And Antarctica, my favorite era was the poppier Johnny Marr-sided version of the band. Hey, what do you expect? The Smiths are one of those bands I adore more with the passage of time, and not less (as you might expect dealing with a band for whom sad teenage angst was a major trope).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you love MM! I like their poppier stuff too. They are so prolific and there isn't anything they've put out that has turned me off. I like to see bands grow and evolve, but still maintain an essence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, is music distracting during a race? Does it not work because there are so many other runners around to be aware of? Tell me more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it was too distracting to listen to music. Maybe when I'm training I need the distraction or it doesn't matter so much if I get pumped up by a song or two and suddenly run at a faster pace. But in the race I want to be fully aware of my surroundings and also not run too fast in the beginning for fear of pooping out by the end. And yes, "pooping out" is a technical running term.

    ReplyDelete